drj – dr. julius | ap is an international art space for contemporary conceptual minimal art and architecture in the tradition of a programme gallery. Exhibitions and art projects [ap] by artists active in these domains are shown both in our own space in Berlin-Schoeneberg as well as in external locations.
In addition, drj develops and creates exhibition projects for institutions and associations. This includes the complete content ansd all services, from basic scientific research, specific exhibition design, public relations work to the development of high-quality publications. The basis for this is an excellent network of highly qualified experts with whom drj cooperates on a project-by-project basis.
Backdrop of the name
dr. julius | ap is named for Dr. Julius Leber, namesake of Leberstraße, the street on which the gallery is located, in the “Red Island” of Berlin-Schöneberg. On this street, Dr. Julius Leber, a representative in the Reichstag and fierce opponent of the Nazi regime, ran a coal business, starting in 1937, after he was released from the concentration camp where he had been imprisoned since 1933. The business also served as a meeting point for members of the German resistance. Denounced shortly before the attempt to assassinate Hitler on July 20, 1944, Leber was executed six months later in Plötzensee. His wife and comrade-in-arms Annedore Leber continued the business in West Berlin after the war, while also founding a press for political literature. With her publications she fought — contrary to the general attitude of the post-war era — against the abdication of individual and societal responsibility for the catastrophe of National Socialism.